This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Choosing a blog site - Google Blogger vs WordPress

I've been using Google Blogger happily for a while now but I also wanted to try WordPress, which I had heard so much about. It's important for me to know different interfaces to help my clients and make recommendations. So I created a personal blog on WordPress and tried it out.

After about a week of posting blogs on WordPress, I recommend Google Blogger. The interface on WordPress is extremely complicated (convoluted?) and even doing something simple like inserting an image was a real chore. Also, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to add an image to the header (like my BHA logo at the top of this page) in WordPress. I just finished reading their instructions about how you can copy the CSS from a theme, and then make changes there, etc. and even though I know CSS, I had no interest doing all of that. And if there is an easier way to do it, I couldn't find how to do it. No such trouble here - Blogger has a "click and build" for page elements. Nice.

Even the icon for inserting an image in WordPress is poorly done. It's just a tiny grey rectangle with a line around it. Here in Blogger, the icon is in color and looks like an image - I can easily see a skyline. And it seems like WordPress has more steps. In the image box, do I want "Save Now" or "Insert in Post"? How about "OK" like Blogger? I got a nasty warning when I clicked on "View Post" because I hadn't "Updated" yet. And there are at least two different "View Post" buttons. Here on Blogger, it says "Publish Post" in a bright orange box.

There may be other advantages to WordPress that I don't know about, but I'm sticking right here with Blogger.

BradHallArt.com