This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration

What that "thingee" is called in HTML and CSS for web design

Some software programs, such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe InDesign are so intuitive and so visual that you really don't have to know what things are called, just what they look like. Calling something "that squiggly thingy" and pointing to the icon is perfectly fine in these programs, in fact, it can be helpful for a visual learner, like me. Web design, unfortunately, is different. Not using the correct term can be a serious problem.

The "thingee" that holds the "stuff" in InDesign is called a "frame". In Photoshop it's a "selection", in Illustrator, it's an "item", in QuarkXPress, it's a "picture/text box". In CSS for web layout, it's a "div", which is short for page division.