This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Professional Mentors

I have had many mentors in my life. These people have been there for me when I needed guidance.

One of the mentors in my life was my boss at Blue Cross of California in the 1980s. He taught me to think of computers as just "boxes with wires coming out of them". In other words, he gave me confidence to face this new technology. He was right, although he couldn't have imagined wireless keyboards!

My mentor for my teaching career was the department head of Graphic Design at The Art Institute of Phoenix in the 90s. In addition to a lot of practical advice on teaching, grading, etc., she gave me confidence to face "public speaking". Yes, a teacher has to do public speaking!

One of the most important mentors to me was my first freelance graphic design client when I was 19. My business model was based on this business. He taught me how to do estimates, and write bills. And mostly he told me not to be afraid to present a bill if I had done the work, and done a good job.

My sales mentor was a motivational speaker from Scottsdale. Actually he and his wife, who runs the business. From age 20 on, I learned so much from them. Mostly, I learned to have an attitude of gratitude. If you've ever taken a class from me, or even hung around with me much, you have heard me quote them.

The list goes on. I will never be able to repay them directly, but I am a believer in "linear kindness" - I would like to believe that I can pass along what I have learned to others, and in that way, repay them.

If you would like to learn Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or Dreamweaver, please contact me. I do personal on-site training sessions in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area. You can do this!

BradHallArt.com

Cartoon used with permission from Joel Weldon and Associates