This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to get paid as a Graphic Designer

Unless you are doing your Graphic Design just for fun, or as a hobby, you will expect to be paid for your efforts. If you have a client that refuses to pay you, chances are very good that it's your fault. I may not be able to help with that client. You may have to chalk it up to "educational expenses", but, you're still young, and you can do better next time.

If all you know is Graphic Design and art, you are unprepared to get paid for your work. You also need to know about business. Even though there are some bad people out there, who order things that they have no intention of paying for, most of the time when someone refuses to pay, it's because they feel that they have been cheated.

I won't mince words here, if your business practices are sloppy, it will seem like you are cheating people. Don't do that. And I'm not saying that you need to haul out some extensive contracts, or have your lawyers present at each client meeting, I'm just saying that you probably need to be more business-like.

Start with learning marketing. Learn about sales. Learn how to write a proposal. Watch to see how other businesses do it. Remember that estimate you got for the last car repair? Yeah, you gotta do that. Don't be afraid to speak up if the project changes. If you don't tell your client that it's going to cost them some more, they won't expect to be charged more. 

I have been doing Graphic Design since I was a teenager. I was fortunate to have some good business mentors around me. I took classes in marketing, advertising, and sales. I have been very successful at it, and you can be, too.

If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me.

BradHallArt.com