This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to shrink the size of an image in Photoshop

This is the answer to this question: I am taking a picture of a head and moving it onto the body on a different picture. When I drag the head to the other picture it shows up as a layer but is way too big for the body. How do I shrink the size of the head so it will look normal on the body?

There are lots of ways to do this. I find that this is the easiest way for me:

Begin by opening both Photoshop images and placing them side by side. It's best to view them at the same resolution, but it really doesn't matter, when you drag a part of one image into another, it shows in the resolution of the target image, which can sometimes be a surprise. Don't worry about that. The goal in this example is to get the giant head of me as a kid onto me as a grownup.

Using the selection tool, create a marquee (that's the square with the marching ants). And here's the trick - go to the option bar (up at the top) and select "Show transform controls". That's what gives you the little boxes in the corners and the edge of the image. Now all you have to do is to grab a corner (remember to hold down the shift key so it doesn't distort!) and size it using the move tool. And there you go! Of course, you'll want to refine the image to make it more convincing. But somehow I don't think that anyone will ever really believe that I look that young!
If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me.

BradHallArt.com