This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Shortcut key symbols on the Macintosh keyboard

For some strange reason, Macintosh keyboards don't show the shortcut key symbols on them, except for the command key. Again, I have no idea why. I make my living explaining computers and computer software in training sessions, so if they got it right in the first place, I would be out of a job! Still, it would be nice if they were printed on the keyboard.

The command key, as I mentioned, does have the little "pretzel" symbol on it on your keyboard. Go take a look. But the rest don't. Let's take a look.

The arrow pointing straight up means add the "shift" key. So, in the example at left, to make a new folder using the shortcut keys, you would hold down the shift key and the command key while hitting the letter "N".

The symbol that looks like an escalator with a bird flying by, or perhaps a frisbee in the air, is the "option/alt" key. So, as in this example, to make a new smart folder with the shortcut keys, you would hold down the option and the command key.

I've been using Macs for years and I usually find most shortcuts use the command key plus the shift key, but it's nice to know what the rest of them are.

Speaking of Mac keyboards, I find the thin light gray type on the white background almost impossible to see, especially when I am typing at night, so I use a keyboard cover from KB Covers.

If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me.

BradHallArt.com