This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What to do if your blog account has been suspended

I got an email from "Yahoo Answers" yesterday that my account had been suspended for "violating terms of the contract", and no explanation. Of course, I'm a respectable, law-abiding citizen, so of course I didn't do anything wrong. And I really don't care about having a "Yahoo Answers" account, anyway. But all of this has got me thinking. I went onto Google help boards and found a lot of people who had gotten their Google Blogger account suspended. One poor guy was writing his PhD, and, poof, his blog was gone. Obviously the Google bots are throwing a wide net to catch all the spam bloggers (sploggers) and other such bad guys. And it looks like that net catches plenty of "innocent victims".

So, this is what I am recommending to my clients - don't put anything on a free system (like a blog) that you wouldn't care to lose. I know it's too late for some people, but I test out these things to hopefully give good advice. I've done my appeal with Yahoo, and some day maybe someone will probably say, "Oops, sorry Brad, we made a mistake." But if I were conducting business on that blog, I would be out of business. And there are thousands of people ahead of me trying to get their appeal heard by Google Blogger. Unfortunately, the only thing that you can do is to wait.

So, use blogs as a supplement to your site. If you are in business, you need to be sure that the important stuff is on your site. Blogs are great, but remember, you don't own them, so accept the fact that someone can "trip over a wire" there and disconnect you. And even if it's their fault, it will probably take a long time to get you back.

If you are using your blog to help support your business, this is what you need to do - compare your blog and your site. If you have some great stuff on your blog that you'd rather not run the risk of losing, put it on your web site. You own those web pages and they are stored on your computer. No one can take them away from you, not even by mistake.

If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me.

BradHallArt.com