This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What you need to know to be successful as a Graphic Designer

Ever since my career started in the 1980s, I've heard Graphic Designers complain that they "need to know everything". I suppose that it must be the same in other industries, but this is the only industry that I know.  I started doing Graphic Design freelance as a teenager, and I'm still doing it. And I'm not a teenager any more! If you're feeling overwhelmed by the expectations, well, all I can say is, "welcome to the club!" But hopefully, I can say more.

• As a Graphic Designer, you are expected to know design. Just knowing a few tricks in "Photoshop" won't make you a Graphic Designer. Take a look at design, it is all around you. Take some classes in it, learn what good design is, learn what the fashion in design is now. Keep yourself current.

• Graphic Designers know how to use computers, especially Macs. Graphic Design software has always been primarily designed for the Macintosh, and although you can use it on a PC, the Mac has the edge.

• Good Graphic Designers are not ignorant of how the marketing world uses them. If you want an edge on being a Graphic Designer, learn how your services are used.

• If you want to be successful as a Graphic Designer today, and tomorrow, be prepared to continue to learn. New software is being developed all the time, and those who can get "up to speed" fastest will win. When I started my career in the 1980s, some Graphic Designers refused to work on those "new fangled" computers. Can you imagine? They dropped out. I personally find it fun and exciting to stay on the "cutting edge".

If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me.

BradHallArt.com

Cartoon "A neat desk is the sign of a sick mind" copyright Joel H. Weldon and Associates. Used with permission. Yep, that's one of my cartoons.