This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Are you a creative person?

I worked in the creative departments of big corporations for the earliest part of my career as a Graphic Designer and was always amazed that people would say, "wow, you're so creative!" I mean, I didn't dye my hair purple or go running and jumping through the air, singing. It wasn't until I started teaching Graphic Design in the late nineties that I learned that creative people are different, and sometimes in a subtle way. And you don't need anyone to tell you whether you are creative or not, you can determine it for yourself. Over the years I watched a lot of creative people embrace careers in Graphic Design. And unfortunately, I watched some people just learn to hate it. Here is what I see when I observe creative people.

• Creative people want to see the big picture. They don't do step-by-step well, or color-by-numbers. They want to know what it's all about, what it's for. 

• Creative people learn by doing. They learn best by experimenting, by failing and succeeding. They learn from projects, not out of a book. They hate tutorials and they hate memorizing. The classes that I taught at The Art Institute and GCC were four hours long, and three of them were spent in the computer lab, doing projects. If you sat in the lecture, taking notes and expecting to take a test and then go home, these classes were torture for you. If you learned by doing, your three hours in the lab would go by in the blink of an eye. And you would come back for more. 

• Creative people are messy. They have a lot of projects going on, some of which they may never finish. Creative people need to learn some discipline on time management, how to use calendars, how to make deadlines.

If you bring creativity to a career in Graphic Design, the rest will take care of itself. If you find yourself staring at the clock, or asking your art teacher "can I go home early?", it's not for you, find something else and be happy. If you are a creative person, learn the software. You are a very valuable person!

If you would like to get personal on-site software training in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, please contact me. Yes, I will also do a training session on setting up your blog on Google Blogger. Paypal accepted, morning appointments only.

Contact Brad directly