This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Using your classic iPod as a calendar and address book

Update April 24, 2013. As of this writing, this no longer works. Why, Apple?

If you are like most people, you are fed up with electronic devices that are trying to do everything. They end up being so complicated, and so expensive, that they are actually difficult and annoying to use. Although I'm a techie kind of person, I prefer my life to be as simple as possible. And that is why I am going to stick with my classic iPod.

The classic iPod, or video iPod, is a device mostly devoted to listening to music and watching videos. As a traveling companion, it is a little piece of heaven. I still remember the first time that I used it on a plane, and got to choose the movie that I wanted, and the time just flew! I have lots of movies, TV shows, podcasts, music videos, audiobooks and music on it. When I travel it comes with me.

What I didn't realize until fairly recently is that the calendar and the address book came along on the iPod, too. If you are using iCal and Address Book, it just automatically syncs along with everything else. Keep in mind that the classic iPod is a read-only device, which means that you have to put information in it by using your computer. But for me, that's not really a problem. My computer, where I am right now, is the most comfortable place for me to organize my schedule and update my address book. I really don't need to do it in a coffee shop in downtown Phoenix. When I am meeting with a client, I will use a good old-fashioned pen and paper, take down notes there, giving my full attention to my fellow human beings, not a tiny computer screen. When I get home, I will transfer the information to my computer, and it will sync to my iPod. On your iPod classic, look under "Extras" in the main menu - there you will find your address book and calendar. It's been there all along. Apple doesn't promote it because they want you to buy a more expensive, and more complicated, product. But there is no reason to.

All you have to do is to put your iPod in your pocket.