This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to learn Adobe software

If you have been told that you have to learn Adobe software, it may seem overwhelming. In the last ten years it has turned into a real "alphabet soup" of software programs. And it really is a good thing, as if it were all one giant program, it would be impossible.

The first step is find out what you need. Most people need Adobe Photoshop to start. So start with Photoshop. But do yourself a favor, don't just load it on your computer and jump in. That's a recipe for disaster and frustration. Instead, get some training. There are a lot of nice people out there (including me) who will help guide you through the maze. Think of them as a guide through the wilderness - they will keep you from getting lost.

You have a lot of choices. If you have a lot of time on your hands and enjoying socializing, check out your local community college. I have been teaching Adobe software at Glendale Community College for over ten years. If your time is more limited, attend a training session at a place like Ledet. These guys are pretty cool - and I should know, they hire trainers like me! You can also hire a personal trainer (me again) to come out to your office.

I strongly recommend not getting a tutorial "how to" book, or trying to learn online. Yes, it's possible, but it's also possible to move a bowling-ball with a feather! Don't put yourself through that. I had a boss in the 1980s who was good enough to send me to all kinds of training sessions. If you are fortunate enough to have a boss like that, you are in luck. That started me on a wildly successful career as a Graphic Designer. And, as I recall, there were free doughnuts!

Go learn Adobe!