This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What to do when Apple charges you multiple times for Mac OS X Lion

I have always like technology, and I have been pleased with companies like Amazon and Apple when it comes to placing orders and downloading things. An automated system is all well and good, but when it goes wrong, that's when you put a company to the test.

The first thing that you want to do when you find multiple charges for Lion on your bank statement is to call Apple. Here is the number: 1-800-676-2775, Monday - Friday from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., or Saturday - Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Pacific time. Yeah, if it's midnight where you are and you just realized it, set your computer and yourself to sleep and call them in the morning. That's what I did.

After getting the automated voice which is there to minimize people calling about stupid stuff, like how to charge their iPod, I got through to a real life human. It only took a few minutes. The person was very polite and professional. It's his job to send an internal email in about the problem, and you receive an email stating that in just a few minutes. It's kind of nice to think that something is happening. I got an email in less than an hour from a real live person who asked me the basic questions - what was my order number, etc.

This is no time to rant and rave. Give them the information and give them a chance to fix it. Sure, technology, and the whole world, should be perfect, and I know you don't have the time for this, but this is the real world. How you handle things when they go wrong is a good indication of who you are. Hey, that's why some people just can't play golf, or drive a car. They get all unhinged when things go wrong. How do you know that things will go wrong? Take this simple test - are you on earth? Then things will go wrong. If you are dealing with a reputable company, they will make it right, give them a chance. I have made my living on Apple computers for over twenty years and I have always found them very responsive. You are paying for a first-class product, so you can expect first-class service.

I will post a follow-up on this as it progresses. Wish me luck!

Update - I did get a response pretty fast from Apple. They told me that the multiple charges are just "pending" as the computer system was attempting to identify the credit card. They told me to check with my bank. Hmmmm...

Upate - I did speak to someone at my bank this afternoon and these multiple pending debits apparently do happen. It is now a single amount. Cool.

Update - next day - Got another email from Apple indicating that they show no order placed. And I now think is was from a failed attempt two days ago to download Quicktime Pro. Apparently the site charged my credit card, but failed to create an order, or do a download. I am being told to talk to my bank about this.

Update - second day - It looks like the charges have disappeared. I don't know what the lesson is here, except to be patient. Still, with $100 worth of pending charges on your checking account, it's good to be aware!