This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What to do with your dead Garmin Nuvi 205

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 205 about a year ago and now it's dead. I liked it a lot, but a few days ago, it just wouldn't turn on. I sent a message to Garmin, who answered politely, made a suggestion or two, and then helped me to make the final pronouncement. It is a dead Garmin Nuvi. Bereft of life, it GPSes no more. It it is an ex-Garmin Nuvi.

It appears to be too small to make much of a doorstop, but I will find a use for it. In the meantime, I am going to buy another one. I like the Garmin. And I really don't expect something like this to last more than two years. It cost me less than $100 bucks, and over the course of a year, that's only about eight bucks a month. Most people spend more than that on coffee!

So I want another one. But the 205 is discontinued. It would be nice if Garmin had a big flashing sign on their website that said *Replace your dead Garmin Nuvi 205 with THIS*, but it doesn't. It looks like the Garmin Nuvi 30 or 40 will be a good replacement. I'll let you know.

The lesson here is to buy the cheapest unit that they sell, and don't pay for *lifetime* maps or stuff like that. Two years is plenty long for something that works as well as a Garmin Nuvi, and if they build a couple new roads in the meantime, I'll just have to deal with it. There'll probably be signs.