This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What Digital Rights Management (DRM) is all about

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a bit of code inserted into an audio or video file that limits how it can be copied. As of this writing, it's still in the process of being refined, and it has a fairly large community that is against it. But there is a much larger community in favor of this, and you are probably among that community, even if you have never given DRM, or copyright, any thought.

DRM is a lock. It's like the keys to your car. Without some type of protection, anyone could drive away with your car. And like any lock, there is a large community of people out there who are at this moment trying to figure out the way to break that lock.

It's hard to imagine a time when cars didn't have locks, and people went on the *honor system*. And when locks started appearing on cars, I'm sure that there was a large community of people who hated this. And hopefully by now you know who the *large community* is that I am talking about!

As long as there are things of value, there will be a community of people who will try to figure out how to steal them. That's just the way it is, and human nature will never change. I would like to live in a world where I trust people not to steal, but it's just not realistic. I am locking my car. And my videos will have DRM.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry for you.