This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Overcoming your fear of new technology

I'm a techie guy and have always been what is now referred to as an *early adaptor*. I was one of the very first Graphic Designers to use computers in the 1980s. I had one of the earliest *answering machines*, one of the first VCRs, was an early user of voice mail, and have had a website for over ten years. My genuine enthusiasm for this stuff made me a natural to start teaching it in 1996. I am a *hey, this is cool, check this out* person and I like to believe that I would have been that way back during the invention of electricity, or cars, or even the invention of the wheel.

Very few people say that they have a *fear of technology*. It's usually just described as *I don't have time for this!* If you have several decades behind you, you may be getting the feeling that technology is passing you by. And the best way to overcome this fear, and this distrust, is to compare the technology of now with the technology of the past.

Unless you are over 100 years old, you grew up with electricity. Imagine how mysterious this technology must have seem to people when it was new. Many people back then would have rather use a candle than get anywhere near an electric switch! And what about cars? This new technology had the old-timers saying, *get a horse*! This sounds as ridiculous to your ears as the fact that I can't pay for your product that I found on the internet with Paypal. You want me to mail a check? Really?

If you are reading this now, you have access to a computer, which is a good start. And that's how you do it, one little step at a time. As a teacher, I encourage people to try a little bit at a time. I don't have to sell you on how great technology is, you will discover it for yourself.