This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Drawing Caricatures for Special Events

Tonight I will be drawing caricatures for a special event in Scottsdale, Arizona. Of all the ways that I have made commerical use of my enthusiasm for drawing, this is my favorite thing. And I have been doing this all of my life.

In order to do this, you have to be able to draw. That ability in and of itself is not rare, and like all skills, it can be refined with education and study. Yes, I have a fine arts degree which included a lot of drawing and painting. My classes included Art History, and my teachers introduced me to the great masters. The great masters of caricature I discovered on my own and they include Mort Drucker, Angelo Torres, Jack Davis, and Al Hershfeld. And I continue to study and practice. So I have confidence in my ability to draw. But that is just part of it.

Drawing caricatures in public is a performing art. So, finding people who like to draw and are comfortable doing it in public is pretty rare. Luckily, I like this, and always have. As a shy kid, I used my drawings to make friends. I still remember the rare feeling of people crowding around me as I drew. Many of my old high school friends still have their caricatures and I occasionally get to see one after many, many years. Mostly they were saved by parents.

So, this is how it works for me. I show up at the event, about a half-hour early, bringing plenty of sketchpads - of premium quality heavy-stock paper, by the way - and a whole bunch of sharpie pens. I work strictly in black-and-white and each caricature takes about five minutes. I don't use an easel, or add color, or make people sit for a long, long, time. This is supposed to be fun! And it is!