This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Learning about copyright

I try not to talk too much about copyright. I have found that people who understand it don't need me to explain it, and people who don't understand it, for the most part, want an easy answer. If you're in a business that deals with copyright issues, I strongly recommend that you go and learn about it. No, not from me, I just draw cartoons.

As an artist and Graphic Designer, I have to know about copyright. I also learned a lot about it when I started teaching. I was fortunate to have a guest speaker who was a copyright lawyer come to my Graphic Design classes, every semester, for many years. And so I listened to his presentation, which was always great, many, many times. And I wrote tests on copyright based on his presentations. It was a great education for me, and hopefully, for the thousands of students who got the chance to see him.

As you can tell, I am a believer in doing homework. If all you know about copyright comes from a Facebook posting that said, "LOL I hear it's illegal to take a picture of your own face!", then maybe it's time that you learned the reality of copyright. No, it's not a conspiracy, man. It's a way to protect, and share.

If you're an artist and don't know anything about copyright, what you don't know can hurt you.