This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Should you use Facebook, Linkedin, or Google+?


Social media sites like Facebook, Linkedin, Google+, etc. can be a lot of fun. And they can be helpful to your business, too. But what you don't know can hurt you, so if you're not sure whether you should be on these sites, this should help.

• If you're interested in staying connected with friends, making new ones, or reconnecting with old ones, use Facebook. It's a lot of fun. Contrary to what you may have heard about people who really don't understand how it works, it's very private. If you select the privacy settings correctly, you can communicate with a very select group of friends that can only see what you are saying, and vice-versa. Speaking for myself, I keep my settings public. The reason I do that is that I want people to know that I am a real person. I'm a graphic designer and cartoonist living in Glendale, Arizona. It's part of my network for work. People like to hire people who are real human beings. And I am a real person. I like gardening. I have a dachshund.

• If you are interested in enhancing your image in your business, you should use LinkedIn. It's the place to put your complete resume. If you're an "old guy, retired, doing nothing", there really is no point to saying that on Linkedin. If you're a former CEO of a Fortune 500 company, you may be surprised to find that a recommendation from you can make a big difference in someone's life. Go ahead and write out your resume. Yeah, we will be able to tell how old you are, but we can see that when you go to the store. Obviously if you are actively looking for work, or looking for a new job, your Linkedin profile should be as good as you can make it.

• The highest level is Google+, if I may use video-game terminology. Don't start there, start with Facebook and Linkedin. Google is what the world uses for searching on the internet, so you really have to get it right there. It starts with a Google profile, and then expands out into business pages. When you are ready for Google+, it will make sense. Before that, it probably won't.

Tread cautiously here. You are stepping out into the biggest public space this world has ever known. And with great power comes great responsibility. Take small steps.

Please feel free to look at my pages on Facebook, Linkedin and Google+. No, they won't send you to a page that you can't leave, or try to download a virus. That's not what this is all about. Yes, you will find out that I am a Graphic Designer and that I draw cartoons. And I have a dachshund. I've also been a teacher longer than I would care to admit, so feel free to contact me if you would like. You can put an apple on my desk if you would like, but a simple thank you would be more than enough.