This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why putting your files on your desktop can cost you your job

There's an old joke about the secretary who filed everything under "A" - a letter, a memo, etc. And the modern equivalent of that type of incompetence is putting your files on your desktop. If you do that, you can rest assured that there will be a line drawn through your name for "hire" or "promote".

There is nothing wrong with putting all of your files on your desktop, if you like it. But in a fast-paced business world, there really is no time for you to you to go searching for stuff. I've done a lot of training sessions, and I wait patiently for someone to look through their desktop to find a file to work on. They also, by the way, go through their emails at a snail's pace, and ultimately find themselves unable to do work in a timely way. They often loudly complain about "being busy", or more usually, "slammed".

I've made my living on a computer, doing graphics, all of my adult life. I can get to any file on my computer in a few seconds. There are thousand and thousands of them. My desktop has a picture of my dog on it.

If you don't have time to make folders and name them, I can understand. I will just smile gently and walk away. But personally, I don't have time to search through all of my files. I charge by the hour, and rest assured that I am fast. While the competition is searching for a file, I've already updated a website.