This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Using Adobe Illustrator for flyers

I got a request to quote on a job yesterday of producing flyers for a real estate company. The artwork would include the usual photos, and have mostly graphics - boxes, squares, that sort of thing. Maybe a drop shadow or two, and, of course some text and their logo.

In casual conversation, I always talk about Photoshop. That's because everyone has heard of Photoshop, and many people who are not even graphic designers, use it. The type of job that I am quoting, could, conceivably, be done with Photoshop, but it would be the wrong tool. The correct tool is Adobe Illustrator.

Yes, I will still use Photoshop, but most of the layout will be things that Illustrator does well and Photoshop stumbles on, such as simple boxes, logos, formatted text. Yes, Photoshop can do that stuff, but it's what I have always called "using a screwdriver to hammer in nails". Yes, it's possible, I will give you that. I've seen people do it.

If you're fortunate enough to know a little bit about Adobe Illustrator, this type of job is done quickly and easily. If you have to do it in Photoshop, I sympathize.

By the way, InDesign is the wrong tool to use for this, too. Unless you're the kind of person who likes to take a Lear Jet down to the corner grocery store!