This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Upgrading to a new ereader

I have been happy for many years with my simple little Kobo ereader, but have been thinking for quite some time that it needs to be replaced. I would have been happy to replace it with a newer Kobo, but the "Glowlight" feature of the Nook caught my eye. As of this writing, Kobo doesn't offer that.

So I ordered a Nook online. It cost me a little over a hundred bucks, which isn't really all that bad. The bad news is that when I went to load my books on it, it stopped me because it needed to be registered through a Wifi system, which I don't have here.

I have nothing against Wifi, but I only have one computer here. I am not interested in technology just for its own sake, and having wifi without anything for it to do is kind'a silly. So, I went to the Nook site, chatted with support, and found, yes, I have to register it through Wifi, and they suggested going to Barnes and Noble. According to support, once I've gone through this hoop, I will be able to plug it into my computer using the USB port and go get my books.

Of course, the Wifi will make it easy to buy books from Barnes and Noble, and I may do that. I do have a lot of books already here, mostly from the Gutenberg site, and those are the ones that I want to start with. I am writing this in real time - Barnes and Noble opens in 45 minutes and I am only ten minutes away from there. Will let you know how it goes.

My research tells that, unlike the Kindle, the Nook supports the epub format used by libraries. I like libraries, so I'm hoping it's true.

None shall pass! None shall pass!
Update April 4, 2013 10:15 Just got back from Barnes and Noble. I was directed to the Information Desk where a nice young man did the registration process. Actually, it's quite a lot, including, to my amazement, setting up an account with a password and giving them your credit card number. I logged into my Barnes and Noble account right away when I got back home and changed the password. This is quite a hoop to jump through, and I wouldn't blame you if you gave up at this point. You really don't have to go to a Barnes and Noble, you can do all of this at your local Starbucks, using their Wifi. But this was the easiest for me. In new technology, I always think of the "None Shall Pass" Knight, who was actually pretty easy to get past, but only if you're King Arthur. Just take a deep breath, and know that once you get past this, it will all be worth it.

Now to see if I can transfer my books onto it!

OK, the first trick was to unlock it. It said, "slide to unlock", which did nothing as I slid my finger across the screen. They mean slide ACROSS THE ARROWS (down in the lower right-hand corner) to unlock. I'm in!

Cool. As promised, Adobe Digital Editions recognized it. I transferred the books from my library to the Nook, and there they are!

OK - bottom line, the Nook works. The guy at Barnes and Noble had never heard of Adobe Digital Editions, or getting books from the library, but don't worry, that stuff is easy to find on the web. The hard part is getting past the "registration" process.

And my new Nook can be charged using the same plug as my cell phone so will only need to USB plug to upload new books, so I have put it in the spare room with the original box.