This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Reading an ebook outdoors

One of the great joys in life is to sit outside and read a book. And one of the great joys of living in the 21st Century is that you can read an ebook, that is, a digital book. But if you've made the mistake of trying to read on an old-fashioned "computer style" screen, an LCD, like on an iPhone, a tablet, or a laptop, you have probably found it terribly frustrating. And, uh, your eyes look pretty blood-shot!

If you spent a lot of money on a color HD screen for reading books, you have made a mistake. If you still have the receipt, go return it. What you want is what I have a simple e-ink reader. No, it doesn't surf the web, or get your emails, or play movies. It also doesn't give you the terrible eye strain that LCD screens do. It's a completely different type of screen, and the really good news is that it is much cheaper, too.

My erader is a Nook. But you have to see it "in real life" to appreciate it. I bought mine from Barnes and Noble, and I recommend that you go over there. Ignore the salesperson directing you to the shiny color screen. Get the cheapest one. Mine is called Simple Touch. I paid for the extra light, but I rarely use it. It works in daylight. That's what it was designed for.

It's black-and-white, the contrast is excellent, and you can read it in daylight without eyestrain. I can hardly believe they invented this just for me, but they did.

Excuse me, I am going to go outside now and continue reading "Pirates in an Adventure with Romantics", by Gideon Defoe, which is great.