This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you don't need a Smart Phone

If you are one of those people, like me, who has never seen the value of having a phone that is a teeny-tiny version of your home computer, you have never really been tempted to get a Smart Phone.

Even the name "Smart Phone" is a wonderful little bit of marketing nonsense. As if a phone that doesn't connect to the internet is, by comparison, dumb. But paying wildly expensive data plans so that you can do the same thing that I can do on my Chromebook for free (it uses Wi-Fi, which is just about everywhere, and is free), isn't what I would call smart.

I can see the value of having a phone that is small enough to fit in my pocket so I can talk to people, and maybe do some simple texting, such as "On my way!" but checking emails and surfing the web on a tiny screen (even iPhones are pretty tiny compared to my Chromeboook) and paying for data plans just strikes me as, well, not smart.

If you are in the type of business that demands that you have constant fingertip access to the web, that's a different thing. Speaking for myself, I can wait until I am at a Starbucks to write an email. And did I mention that Wi-Fi is free at most fast-food places, too? No, you don't even have to ask for a password. Just sit down at iHop and connect.

Here is the real tip-off - places like Verizon are giving away Smart Phones that would normally sell for hundreds of dollars. Why? Because they want to get you into an expensive data plan.

There was a time when surfing the web on a phone was the wave of the future, but now it's past. Smart phones, data plans, and all that nonsense will be around for a while, especially for people who think that "everyone is doing it". Well, I'm not. I'm surfing the web and checking my email on my Chromebook. That's what it's for. It cost less than most smart phones and it doesn't require a data package or a contract. It just needs Wi-Fi.

If you want to talk to me, I have 1,000 minutes on my phone that I hardly use at all anymore. I use my home computer and my Chromebook for emails. The phone is for talking and texting, which I still do a little bit of, and that's what it's for.