This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to make a phone call using gmail

Yes, you can make phone calls on gmail. And yes, it's free. To do it, go to the little phone icon (at least that's what phones used to look like!) on the left of your screen, next to your face, and click it.

It will open up a box where you can put in the telephone number. It's kind of fun, and I have been playing with it recently. The only thing that seems strange is that when your friend answers their phone, it shows some strange California area code to them. So it's important to identify yourself very quickly when they answer. Or, you can call them ahead of time and say that you are going to call them on Google. I've tried both and they both seem to confuse my friends.

It does seem kind'a strange talking to your computer, but I found that I just looked at the little dial pad the whole time.

What phones used to look like
By the way, I'm not really tempted to do video calls. I like my friends, but I really don't need to see the surprised look on their faces, or what's in the background of their computer room. But it's nice to hear a friend's voice.

Yes, it's free. It doesn't use up any of the minutes on your cell phone, and it doesn't rely on cell phone towers in your neighborhood. The call goes through your internet connection.

Try it and let me know how it works for you!