This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What wearing a watch says about you

I've worn a watch since I was a little kid. It was pretty dorky then, and it's pretty dorky now. And I did it, and still do it, because I don't care to think about time. I wear a watch for the same reason that I have always embraced technology, such as computers. It keeps track of it for me, so I really don't have to think about it. I have devoted very little of my "brain processing power" to keep track of stuff like that so that I can concentrate on what's really important in life, like playing with my dog, or watching a sunrise.

If you want to be really cool, don't get caught wearing a watch. It's like the cool kids at school who were never caught carrying books. It's not as bad as wearing a pocket protector, or wearing glasses, but it's pretty close.

I know that profiling is wrong, but the instant I see someone wearing a watch, I have an immediate feeling of comfort that this is someone that I can rely on to make a deadline. As a professional graphic designer, deadlines have been my life. It's all about speed and accuracy. This is not an industry that says, "close enough for government work!" or "better late than never!"

The watch I wear everyday is ridiculously accurate. It is solar powered and has what is called "Atomic Time". That is, it syncs the time from a signal in Colorado. Like the time on my computer it is very precise, and doesn't rely on me to reset it every month, or allow for leap years, that sort of thing. It says what time it is, what month it is, and what day it is.

Some of the nicest people in the world don't wear watches. I like to hang out with those people. For a nervous person like me, it's good to get away from the world of deadlines. So don't get me wrong, I am not advocating a world of people who wear watches. Sometimes you gotta relax!

But if you wear a watch, I recognize you as a kindred spirit. And if someone asks me the time, I will tell them. Unlike a friend of mine, whose joke was to say, "you mean right now?"

By the way, if you are saying, "I carry a cell phone and it tells me the time", you have to understand how very little effort I want to put into knowing the time. If it takes more than a millisecond glance, it's too much trouble. My watch is on my wrist, not in my pocket, where I have to go get it.