This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to know if you can make money with Adsense on your blog

If you set out to write a blog to make money by hosting ads, you are gonna have a bad time. So I recommend to my clients not to worry about having Google Adsense ads on their blog. But if you love to blog for its own sake, Adsense is the way to go.

I've been blogging for years now, and I love it. In addition to this blog, which is about technology, I write about gardening, health and fitness, and history. And yes, I have Adsense on all of my blogs. But I am not filling up my blogs with content just to make a place for ads. I am writing, and sharing stuff that I like, because, well, I like to share stuff. That's why I am a teacher. I write every day. I'm the kind of person who wants to walk up to people and say, "man, you gotta hear about the new Chromebook!"

The trick is to getting me to shut up.

So writing a lot is not a problem for me. And that's what you gotta do. Write. A lot. And it's gotta be about stuff people care about. Just ranting about stuff that makes no sense and scribbling a bunch of nonsense is not gonna get you noticed, either by people who like to learn about stuff, or the Google "bots", which monitor your content.

It sounds like a terrible cliche, but it's true - do what you love, and the money will follow. If you're an expert on, say, Adobe Photoshop, write about it. Believe me, people will read it. I haven't tried to find anything in a "help menu" for years. I just Google the information, and someone out there, who was happy to find the drop shadow in Photoshop Elements, will have posted it.

This is what I do: I allow Adsense to post ads between the posts.  Also there is an ad in the lower left. I tried putting ads on the top but it looks terrible, and it really doesn't help. It just makes you look like you are in it for the money. I'm not in it for the money, it's a side-effect. I'm in it for the fun of it!

This blog promotes my company, BradHallArt. I draw cartoons and do graphic design. For money. And for fun.