This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to turn off the silly snowflake thing in Google+

For reasons beyond my comprehension, Google+ has decided to add something they call "auto awesome" to random photos that you post. It makes little animated snow fall on your photo. Sigh.

Anyway, to make it go away, go to your settings. They're located in the drop down menu that appears when you hover over the word "Home" at upper left, under the word Google+. Select settings and then go towards the bottom and uncheck "Auto Awesome".

If you're like me, you probably haven't taken a look at your settings for a while, so this might be a good time to look around and check that everything is the way you want it. And, as annoying as "auto awesome" is, I was glad that it made to take a look at my settings. I also turned off "auto enhance" as it was the one that was making my black-and-white photos turn into sepia tone. If I want sepia tone, I will put sepia tone in the photo myself, using Photoshop.

I wish they wouldn't do this stuff, but they do. I'm sure they mean well.

Update December 20th. Actually, there really isn't any need to do anything. Other than the annoyance of getting messages from Google about how they made a graphic for you, nothing changes on your page. They just send you a link to the animated gifs that they created. It's up to you to use them, or not.