This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


ET Sculptor and designing for structure, not content

When I created the website for Cynthia Crawford, ET Sculptor, I approached it the same way that I have been doing design for clients for a long time. No, I don't believe in Extra-Terrestrials, but I believe in my clients. And as a graphic designer, it is my job to present them in a way that encourages people to find out more. If you're a graphic designer, that's what you do.

It's been many years now, and the website has had many changes, but I am pleased to see that much of it remains the same. I didn't design in goofy animated flying saucers, I didn't do weird backgrounds. I took many of the photos, including of the Superstition Mountains, and I did much of the writing, especially about the Vortexes and the Ant People. And I presented it in a "matter of fact" way. I want people to be able to see it, to read it, and make their own decisions.

In the design classes that I taught, I called this separating "content from structure". Of course, the casual observer will see the content - that's what you want. But a graphic designer sees the structure, that is, how the layout looks, how the photos are handled, how the text is presented. On the web, it also means using the correct naming convention for Search Engine Optimization, for images, page names, and titles.

The ability to separate content from structure is what being a graphic designer is all about. A good designer can design for anything. I have worked for banks, health care organizations, motivational speakers, and on and on. And the average person may think that I'm an expert on banks, or health care organizations, but graphic designers know that I'm not.

I am a believer. In my clients.