This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Watching (some) videos from iTunes on a Chromebook

I really like my Chromebook, which I take when I travel. And I really like my iTunes videos, but, as you know, iTunes won't work on a Chromebook. But yesterday I did some experimenting, and I can get some videos from iTunes library to play on my Chromebook.

Now don't get all excited here. I am talking about small, five-to-ten minute videos that I got as public domain. If I really need entertainment while I am traveling, I have Netflix, which works great on a Chromebook. But there are a handful of videos that I really like to have when I am doing my workouts. Some are related to exercise, or stretching, and some just make me feel better. And for these videos it really didn't seem worthwhile upgrading my $250 Chromebook to a $2,000 Macintosh laptop. So this is how you do it:

• Use Google Drive. If you're not familiar with Google Drive, well, why not? Get familiar with it. Write a grocery list using it. Write down the names of the dogs you've known in your life. Whatever. Google Drive syncs from your regular computer (like the Mac I am typing on right now) out to "the cloud" (or the ether, or cyberspace, or whatever you want to call it) and you can get to them anywhere that there is an internet connection.

• Copy the files from your iTunes library into your Google Drive folder. Yeah, you gotta be a little geeky here, but if you are, you know what I'm talking about. Use the Finder on your Mac.

Once the files are copied there, Google does some type of translation to make them play. No, you don't have to remember any of this, I'm just saying that's how it works. When you want to play a video, you go to your Google Drive and click on it, just like when you want to see a file in Google Drive. The video starts playing automatically.

So, I am going to keep my Mac, and continue to use iTunes. When I travel, I will take along my Chromebook. If my Chromebook gets lost or stolen, I am out the $250 to replace it, but since nothing actually lives on it, I will lose no data. And since it's password protected, no one else can use it, except by setting up their own account at Google. Chances are when the thief sees that it's a Chromebook, he will just throw it away, anyway.