This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why your message shouldn't be boring

As a graphic designer, I have always lived by the motto that I learned from advertising executive David Ogilvy, who said, "No one ever BORED someone into buying something". It was an early lesson for me, thanks to an advertising class that I attended at ASU.

By the way, if you would like to check to see if your message is boring, check to see if you've ever accused your audience of having a "short attention span". If so, you're boring.

I've been a art teacher since the late 1990s, and believe me, no one really has a "short attention span". And really, we all do. If you give the most nervous, fidgety, person (like me) something interesting, they will focus on it, for a long time. Give the most patient person something boring and they will "zone out" very quickly. The ruder ones will yawn in your face, the more polite ones will say, "keep talking, I'm listening", but it amounts to the same thing. You're boring.

The solution, of course, is to not be boring. And if you're wondering how that is done, study advertising and graphic design. Sure, it takes advantage of human nature. But none of us want to be bored. Please.