This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to encourage your child to draw

To encourage your child to draw, give them stuff to draw on, stuff to draw with, and space. No, you don't need to send them to a special class, or have them attend lectures, etc. Just get them paper, crayons, colored pencils, coloring books. Get a lot.

My parents gave me everything I needed to sit quietly for hours drawing and coloring. I can't help but think that they benefitted, too? My dad would bring home reams of left-over computer paper. I had LOTS of coloring books, crayons, pencils. I was given a place to work, where I could spread out my stuff and come back to it without having to clean everything up and put everything away all of the time.

To me, drawing was a way to help me to understand the world. All children are naturally observant, and drawing helps to reinforce what they see. And, aside from drawing being an activity that's quiet, there's another benefit for parents, and the world. Children who love to draw learn to appreciate creativity itself. They learn to cherish, and protect. Their *masterpieces* are a life lesson that other people create *masterpieces*. Creative people can never be destructive people.

If you want to make the world a better place, go to the Dollar Store and get some stuff for your kid. Cheap paper, coloring books, crayons, colored pencils. Get everything you see. Don't keep track. Buy all the Dollar Store drawing stuff! If you're not interested in making the world a better place, at least you'll get some peace and quiet.