This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to replace your Nook ereader

My old Nook ereader died a few weeks ago, so I had to get a new one. No, there was no problem with the previous Nook, just a (slight) problem with the owner's care. Anyway, I lived without an ereader for a couple of weeks, cheerfully assuring myself that I could go back to reading paper books, but I really didn't like it. So I got a new Nook.

It's the basic Nook ereader. I have been using ereaders for many years now, and I really like the comfort of reading using e-ink technology. If, unfortunately, you bought the wrong kind, that is, the one one with the shiny, reflective, glaring LCD screen, don't worry, you can still return it, if you have the receipt. If you don't know what I am talking about, and have never read on a dedicated ereader, you really don't know what you're missing. I've seen people try to read books on reflective screens, and it gives me a headache just to watch them.

I ordered mine online from Barnes and Noble, with free delivery. When it arrived, I plugged it in, just like they tell you to, and left it alone for four hours.

The setup is annoying, but not the end of the world. The new device found my Wi-Fi signal, but I had to give it the password. Luckily, you only have to do that once. Of course, I have a Barnes and Noble account, so I input that information, too. I also have public domain and other books in my Adobe Digital Editions library, so I hooked up the USB cord and transferred over the books from my computer.

So now I'm back to ereading. There isn't a huge difference between my new Nook and my old Nook. The physical buttons for turning pages are gone now (I never really used them, the screen worked fine) and the off switch has been moved from the back to the side, which really does make more sense. You don't really have to turn off an ereader, the button just puts it to sleep, and that's only to keep it from accidentally changing pages if it gets jostled.

An reader like this needs to be charged every eight weeks, so I keep the cord in the original box, stashed away on my bookshelf in the spare room, and use it as needed.