This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What color should the Blue Cross logo be?

I became the Lead Designer for Blue Cross of California when I was 28, and that's when I realized that there really is no such thing as a grownup. Before that, I guess I was thinking that maybe people in the business world would have enough sense not to call the Art Department of Blue Cross to ask what color the logo should be.

All big companies have a department that handles graphics. Sometimes they are done *in-house*, right there, as it was when I was at Blue Cross, sometimes, it's just a department that oversees contractors, and make sure that they do it right. This type of department essentially *works for* other departments in that same big company.

As I recall, my boss could have probably handled the question *what color should the Blue Cross logo be?* himself, but he always passed it over to me. He must have said, *I'll transfer you over to our Lead Designer for that question* - hoping that no one could hear his laughter.

And really, people who were way older than me and made much more money than me took the time to call our department (at Blue Cross, remember) to ask what color the logo should be. And my being able to answer a question like that, while talking to some Vice President or something, must have amazed my boss, who would listen in.

*Blue. Well, no, actually, using that color would make us look like the Red Cross. And green would be a nice color for the season, but we really aren't supposed to use it...*

By the way, a logo like Blue Cross is part of a franchise agreement. Blue Cross of California answers to Blue Cross corporate headquarters in Chicago. And there are a lot of rules that a franchisee has to follow, not the least of which is getting the logo, and its color right. Technically, the franchise could be taken away from a company that violates certain standards. But getting the color of the Blue Cross logo was really pretty easy, if you ask me.