This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to figure out if Apple TV is right for you

Apple TV is right for me, but it may not be right for you. Take a look at your viewing habits.

Personally, I have no interest in watching TV in *real time*. I'm not a sports fan, and whatever news I get comes from the web. I prefer to watch things at my leisure. In fact, I was an early user of VCR recorders so that I could watch *The Tonight Show* in the morning. And in the last few years I've used my TV as a monitor for movies and videos from my video iPod, the DVD player, and the Blu-Ray player. And earlier this year I added Apple TV. It's perfect for me.

So, to be a good candidate for something like Apple TV, you would be someone whose main interest in watching stuff not in *real time*, and someone who has a preference for using iTunes to organize their movies.

Apple TV is simply a tiny box that sits next to your TV, plugged in with an HDMI cable, which streams stuff, like Netflix, through your home WiFi. But the really cool thing, for me, about Apple TV is that it plays all of my videos from my iTunes library.

Over the years, I've amassed quite a collection of videos in iTunes. In addition to movies that I've purchased at from iTunes, there are quite a few public domain movies, like old black-and-white silent films, which I downloaded, legally, and saved into my iTunes library. There are also a lot of Podcasts that I have kept, especially related to exercise, which I watch while I'm in my workout room.

If you don't have an extensive iTunes library of videos, it's really not worth paying the 99 bucks for the Apple TV. You can buy a *Smart TV* that will just let you get to Netflix, and other sites like that. And there are lots of other options, such as Chromecast.

My plan from now on is to purchase new movies from iTunes, in HD. I will not be purchasing any more Blu-Ray movies, and I have long since stopped buying DVDs, just as I have long stopped buying VCR tapes.