This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What clicking the plus button in Google+ means to you

I have been on Google+ since its beginning, and I have to admit that I click the plus button on posts very freely. If you're wondering what that does (other than making the person who posted feel good), here they are:

• Clicking a + button reveals who you are on Google+. That is, it shows your Google+ profile name and icon. If you're like me, and you want people to know who you are (and possibly promote your business) that's a very good thing. No, there's no guarantee that anyone will actually go look at your profile, or learn about your business, but at least you are getting out there. In the marketing world, this is known as exposure. No, it doesn't reveal anything other than who you are on Google+, so go and take another look at your profile. Are you showing your best face to the world?

Brad Hall's Google+ profile

• Clicking a + button helps attract the attention of the Google bots to the post. People like me, and my clients, are doing everything we can to get positive attention from the Google bots, which index things for a Google search. This is the main reason that the + is so different from a Facebook *like*. Facebook is not Google, and it isn't as helpful in increasing indexing for a Google search.

And those are the main reasons. Also, since I have the page +Phoenix, Arizona Historical Images , the number of plusses tells me what most people like. I've noticed that people prefer nice color photos from the 1950s and 60s less than they like maps. Although I like maps!

I hope this helps. Remember that the web is, and always has been, a public place. If you want exposure, like my clients do, to help to get your name and business in the first few pages of a Google search, then put your best face forward, and then go click those + buttons!