This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What *Googling something* means

When someone says that they are going to *Google something*, they are saying that they are going to use the Google Search Engine on their computer, on the internet.

I was at the local Fitness Center very early this morning, and as I stood in line I overhead a bit of conversation between an elderly couple and the youthful person behind the counter. They were describing something, or someplace (I don't recall) and she smiled and said that she would *Google it*.

Then it occurred me what an absolutely ridiculous thing this sounds like, if you're not familiar with using the internet, using search engines, or using Google.

*Googling something* has entered our language, much like *Photoshopping something*. There was a time when these terms were obscure words, used only by computer geeks. Now I hear them everywhere. Still, you have to admit that saying, *I'll Google that!* is a pretty goofy thing to say!

By the way, if you're old enough to remember Barney Google (in the photo), you will remember that he had Goo-Goo-Googly eyes. Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!