This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What to do if an iTunes movie doesn't download

I learned an important lesson this past week, but I really should have known better. I purchased the movie "Madagascar" from the iTunes store three times.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the movie playing at all at first. So I contacted Apple (there is a "report a problem" on the invoice) and they sent me a bunch of links to stuff I had already done, like making sure that your system is upgraded, etc., and then they cheerfully refunded my money.

So I tried again. This time it worked fine on Apple TV, but it wouldn't download. So, I clicked the "report a problem" button again and got the usual links for stuff I already knew, and then they cheerfully refunded my money. Which means, by the way, that the movie is erased from your "Purchased" on Apple TV, so you can't watch it anymore, which makes sense.

So I purchased it for the third time, and it worked. And I have learned a lesson - don't try to trouble-shoot it, just try again. And, really, like I said, I should have known better. So this is what you do:

If you have trouble downloading an iTunes movie, click "Report Problem" on the invoice that they sent you, and get a refund. Then try again. If it doesn't work, try again. If you've used computers for a long time, you should know this. No, it makes no sense, but that's how computers are.

Over my long career making a living on a computer, I can't even begin to count how many times I've gotten some type of error message, only to have to go away, for no apparent reason, the next time I tried. So, just try again. It will work! I don't know why, and I really don't care, but it does.