This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you shouldn't move your blog, or website

I guess it's just human nature to want to move things around. Some people like to be constantly rearranging things, like their furniture. But if you move your blog, or your website, you may make a real mess of things, some of which you will see, much of which you won't see.

When I first started writing a blog, I started on WordPress. Of course, since I'm a commercial artist (I do my art for money) and wanted to get the benefits of Google for optimization, I moved it to Blogger after a couple of weeks. No harm was really done, as the pages hadn't been indexed for a Google search, and really, no one had found the blog yet. What was annoying is that I didn't realize that all of the images, which were uploaded to a particular server, disappeared when I moved it.

Sit! Stay!
But that's not the worst of it, just the hassle of reattaching images, etc. You may be unknowingly breaking a link from somewhere. Maybe a website has recommended you, or maybe a blog has done a link to yours. If you move your URL, it becomes a 404. That's techy-nerd talk for "Page not found". And you will never know about it, but someone who was going to visit your site, to buy those doggy treats for dachshunds, or was going to go to your blog to learn more about doggy treats for dachshunds, thinks you're gone. And, even worse, all of those wonderful indexed pages on a Google search suddenly become invalid. Now, that's a terrible shame.

So, stay where you are!