This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Speaking, instead of typing, on your computer

I like typing, but sometimes it's just too much trouble. My Mac has something called dictation. This allows me to speak, instead of type. In fact, I'm doing it right now.

To use it on your Mac, you need to turn it on in the system preferences under Dictation and Speech. Then to use it, you press the function key twice and a little purplish microphone shows up. It goes a sentence at a time, which really makes sense. One of the things you have to do is to actually read it after it's written because sometimes it doesn't understand you too well.

After you have spoken the sentence the microphone will wait patiently until you click *done* or hit the return key. Seems to be working pretty good!

And, like dictation on a smart phone, it understands words like comma. At the end of the sentence you say period And it makes a period. You can also say question mark. And it makes a question mark. Would I kid you?

This post was written, or rather spoken, using dictation. It did take a little bit of refinement afterwards, but mostly I'm just talking and it's writing for me. Ain't technology great?