This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why I post photos to the web

I like posting photos onto the web. And I know what happens to them, they disperse. If they're interesting, people share them, re-post them, and most importantly, see them.

I post a lot of photos to a page I that created a couple of years ago on Google+ called Phoenix, Arizona Historical Images. And I'm not doing it for fame or fortune, I just don't like seeing stuff get thrown into the trash.

I started posting these types of photos way back in 2001 when I first started teaching *The Art of Web Design* at Glendale Community College. Actually, it was just a simple introduction to HTML, and to keep myself fresh when I do classes, I create projects for myself. And this was a simple page, that I have since updated to CSS, about the history of Phoenix. The images were photos that I had rescued from being thrown away when I worked at Bank One in the Marketing Department.

But my fascination with the preservation of images began long before the invention of the web. It actually started when someone scribbled all over a drawing that I had done in grade school. As I looked at it, I thought how nice it would be if there were more copies of it. And by high school I was seeing my artwork in the yearbook, being printed. If someone scribbled on my drawing, there would be hundred more! And as I started doing Graphic Design, I saw my artwork being reproduced by the thousands, and sometimes millions.

The web will allow you to disperse to the world, for free. And every once in a while I think that it's nice to know that the thousands of images that I have of historical Phoenix will not end up in the landfill after I'm finished with my computer. They will not be sitting in boxes in my garage, only to be thrown away by the next person who owns this house. I'm throwing them out to the world, where hopefully copies will be made, and they will be shared. And that really does make me feel good.

Above: 51st Avenue and Orangewood in 1939, Phoenix, Arizona.