This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Being an instructor at Glendale Community College

I started teaching at Glendale Community College in 2001. Previously, I had been an instructor at The Art Institute of Phoenix, and even though I only live about three blocks from GCC, it never even occurred to me to see if there would be anything that I could teach there.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial for GCC, there is nothing in the valley that even comes close to what they offer for computer graphics. Even the Art Institute of Phoenix, where I had been before, and which is excellent, is dwarfed by the state-of-the-art stuff in the High Tech Buildings at GCC. If you don't believe me, visit the HT1 building some day. It's amazing.

I have always been a believer in the Community College system. I started at Phoenix College myself, before transferring to ASU. A Community College is not only a whole lot less expensive than a University, it's a whole lot less stressful. So, for young people making the transition to college from high school, a Community College is much more comfortable. But there's more to a Community College than that.

Since teaching Graphic Design, and computer software, such as Adobe Illustrator, is my specialty, I've seen people of all ages *go back to school*, sharpen up their skills, and become more successful. Yeah, I know it sounds like a corny *after-school special*, but really, I've seen it.

I'm not a professor, and really, I'm not even comfortable calling myself a teacher. I consider myself an instructor, and a trainer. In fact, my style is more of a coach than anything. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that no one ever teaches anyone anything, they learn themselves, given the right tools.

Go Gauchos!