This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How to make money with Adsense on your blog

If you are thinking of creating a blog in order to make money with Adsense, you have it all backwards. I've had Adsense on my blogs for over four years now, and believe me, I haven't written all of those blog posts for the tiny percentage of a penny that Adsense earns when you start out. If you're interested in earning money at that rate, you really are better looking for quarters in your couch.

However, if you like blogging, and I do, you should sign up for Adsense. Of course, your blog should be on Google Blogger, which just means that all you have to do to get started is to click OK. Personally, I tweaked a few things (I am a Graphic Designer, after all) to give my blogs (and I write three of them) a nice visual balance. If your blog is congested with way too many ad placements, then people will immediately click away, but if no one sees any ads on your page, you won't get much in the way of clicks. I would recommend something like this page, where Google places ads between the posts (look below this one), and I have placed an ad placement at the left in the sidebar, because I know that a lot of people don't read all of the way to the bottom of a post.

The key to blogging is to find something that you like to talk about, and that people like to read about. Here on my professional blog, I talk about technology, graphic design, web design, that sort of stuff. I also have a gardening blog, and genealogy blog, and a health and fitness blog. If you visit them, you will see that they are all pretty much structurally the same. There is a main area for the post, an ad placement on the sidebar, and ad placements between the posts. By the way, I use the *most popular posts* widget to help me see what people are viewing the most, and I use that as a guide to help me to write more interesting posts in the future. I notice on my gardening blog, for example, that people like flowers.

Writing blogs, like everything else on the internet, helps to keep you aware of what's going on with the technology, which is always changing. I'm a believer in learning by doing, so I have accounts everywhere from Google+ to Pinterest.

So, go ahead and start writing that blog. Choose a subject that interests you, you might be surprised that it might interest other people. And yes, original content. Copying and pasting from somewhere else is a total waste of time, unless, of course, it's something that you've written. And don't give a thought to *followers*. Leave your friends alone. My blogs have only a handful of *followers* and get thousands of visits all of the time. What you want is visits, and that will translate into Adsense money, which will probably be small at first. But who knows, maybe your blog will take off, and you'll make a lot of money! There's only one way to find out, and that's to give it a try.