This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Switching from a Chromebook to an iPad

I bought an iPad yesterday. Up to that point, I had been using my iMac at home, and my Chromebook when I traveled. But I had visited a friend recently who was very enthusiastic about their tablet. I played with it, and liked the idea, but I didn't like not being able to get to to my iTunes library, which is also a problem with a Chromebook. So, I got an iPad.

What I realized after a little while is that an iPad, unlike the Chromebook, isn't browser driven. It uses apps, like a Smart Phone. So I just spent a lot of time getting all of the apps that I need, such as Netflix, Gmail, etc.

I've also done some customizing of the interface. It's all driven through iTunes, so if you're familiar with it, you're in luck. If not, you may not want to mess with it.

Using a touch screen makes using the old-fashioned interface of a laptop computer, like the Chromebook, feel very clumsy. I'm typing this on my iMac, and I'm very comfortable here, but never got comfortable using the Chromebook's keyboard (which felt too close to the screen for me, as all laptop computers do) and I never really got used to the laptop style of interfacing on the screen, and even tried using a mouse. Touching the screen is a revelation to me, as I've never had an iPhone.

The iPad that I got is the Retina Display, not the Air. Just like my Chromebook, I will rely on Wifi signals, which work great for me. And the screen is gorgeous! And so is the sound. The screen, and the sound, of the Chromebook was pretty poor, but I figured it wouldn't bother me, as I would only use it while traveling. But I found out that I mostly watch videos when I'm away, so it's nice to have a good screen, and excellent sound. I also have my iTunes movies to watch when I'm away.

I like my new iPad.