This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why you shouldn't try to replace your laptop with an iPad

I love my new iPad, but it's not a laptop computer. Well, it's kind of one, it's a computer, and you can put it in your lap, but if you really need a laptop computer, an iPad is a poor choice.

This is not a criticism of the iPad, it's just what it is. As a small, portable device that will allow you to comfortably watch movies, check your email, and many other things, it's great. But it's not designed to take the place of a laptop computer.

Personally, I've never felt the need for a laptop computer. The work that I do requires the serious power of an iMac, running Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver. And that type of work requires a nice big screen and the precision that you can only get by using a mouse. So, if I'm away from my iMac, I'm not really going to be able to do the type of work that it requires.

So, I really can't do my work unless I'm here on my Mac. When I'm away, I've never been tempted to get a laptop computer to work. I suppose if you do other types of work, like spreadsheets, or something, a laptop is fine. For computer graphics, it's much too limiting.

So, if you're tempted to get an iPad, I strongly recommend it. But don't get one if you really do need a laptop computer.