This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Encouraging people to buy, not selling them

Everyone loves buying things, but nobody wants to be sold things. And I'm not trying to play with words - please let me give you an example. Just think how nice it would be to get a new car! Then think how unpleasant it would be to have a car salesman walk up to you. See what I mean?

But as common knowledge this is, it seems to be lost on many people who, with all the best intentions, make a pest of themselves, especially on social media.

So, it doesn't matter how great your product or service is, if you start doing a sales pitch on a social media site, for example, a group that likes flowers, you will be unwelcome. Don't do that.

But that doesn't mean that you can't talk about how great your product or service is. I, for example, do custom cartoon illustration with fast service and inexpensive prices, but I only say that here, or on my website. If I started doing that on a social media site, it would be so annoying that most people would just hope that I would go away. And the moderator may give me a stern reprimand, which I would deserve.

Marketing is an art form. Done well, by professionals, it's a wonderful thing. Done poorly, by amateurs, is pretty painful. If you have any doubt as to whether you are a professional Marketing person, don't do it. You'll keep more friends that way.