This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


How people make money on the internet

There are a lot of ways to make money on the internet, and yes, a lot of them are perfectly legal. Since I'm an old marketing guy, I always wonder where the money is coming from whenever I don't see an obvious object with a price tag on it.

No, I'm not talking about scams or rip-offs. So much is written about that that I don't need to add anything to it. There are bad guys out there. Watch out.

So if you're either interested in making money legitimately on the internet, or are just curious about it, I think that I can help. Speaking for myself, I do cartoon illustrations. I provide free samples, have a website, and on a regular basis, people hire me. I use Paypal and Chase Quickpay. I am, as you can see, a legitimate business on the internet. And I do promote my business. This blog is one of the ways that I do it.

If you listened to the radio growing up, or watched TV by using an antenna (as opposed to cable), it was free to you. What paid for it, and what pays for everything that is free on the web, is advertising. Now waitaminute, some of it isn't very obvious. That doesn't mean it's a conspiracy, man. It's simply that is valuable to companies to promote their products to an audience like you. The really obvious advertising, as everyone knows, is very painful, and annoying. A voice shouting on the radio, pop-up ads on the web, you know what I mean. But there are more subtle ways of advertising, including sponsorship, stuff like that.

If you want to sell something on the internet, learn how sales are made *in real life* (as if the internet isn't real life!). Look at your own buying habits, where and how you spend your money, how you find out what things you want to buy. People love shopping, they hate being sold. People love a bargain, they hate overpaying. Good promotion of your product or service will make people feel like they're shopping, will make people know that they're getting the best price that they can.

Sales and advertising are not bad words. Done correctly, they are an art form that helps consumers get the best value for the money they spend. Done incorrectly, well, you know. If you don't know how to do it, please don't. If you'd like to start trying, begin by painting a sign that says, *lemonade ten cents* and posting it on your front yard next to a table. You may be surprised to find that simply telling people about your product or service, and what it costs, will be very appealing to them. Welcome to the world of marketing, and advertising!