This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


What cartoon illustration is

When I tell friends that I draw cartoons, most people wonder if I write a comic strip, like in the newspaper. Or they wonder if I do animation? I do neither of these things, I do cartoon illustration. And yes, there is a lot of work out there for that type of illustration.

A typical job for me will be a client who needs some cartoon illustrations for a publication, or a presentation. My best client is +Joel Weldon , who is a motivational speaker and uses my cartoons during his presentations, on his handouts, just about everywhere. If you've lived in Phoenix, Arizona for a long time, you've seen my cartoon illustrations on ads.

There are a lot of advantages to using a cartoon illustration as a visual. First of all, cartoons make people happy. Unless your subject is a very serious one, cartoons can add a bit of cheerfulness and what I like to call *visual appeal*. Cartoons also mean that you don't have to hire a photographer, or models, or get model releases. You also don't need to be concerned about pixel dimensions, or resolution. My cartoons are drawn in a vector program, and be scaled up to any size with no loss of sharpness. Cartoon illustrations show up well on tiny screens like cell phones, and can also be used at a very large size, for visual impact.

If you're curious as to how I work, I charge an hourly rate. And I always give a firm estimate up front, and ask for a deposit. I've known way too many artists who are told to *just get started on something, and worry about the charges later*. I have no idea why my industry tends to act that way, it's a recipe for disaster. I've had enough experience doing cartoon illustration that I know how long something is going to take.

Cartoon illustration is kind of like Graphic Design, in that it attracts attention, without attracting attention to itself. So that's what I do, cartoon illustration.