This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Being a teacher


Even though I described my occupation from 1996 to 2007 as a teacher, I never really thought of myself that way. No, I wouldn't argue as if it were some small detail, not to call me a teacher. Heck, you could have called me a professor if you wanted to, I did teach at a college. But really, I just shared stuff, I just encouraged, I just coached.

I taught Graphic Design at the Art Institute of Phoenix, and later at Glendale Community College. I shared my passion for design, I demonstrated how cool Adobe software was. Most people did appreciate it, and the few people who didn't, just kind'a hurt my feelings. I care deeply about my art, and it really didn't take a lot of convincing to make me get up in front of a class to talk about it. The hard part was getting me to shut up!

My experience has made me look at teachers differently. I spent so many hours of preparation, so many hours of helping students the best that I could, but I know that the favorite story that most people have is about a cruel and evil teacher that they knew. So I try to listen to their stories of evil teachers, but when I can I ask if they remember a teacher who really changed their life. And everyone has known a teacher like that.

For a long time I didn't tell people that I was a teacher, as I knew that it would inspire them to tell a teacher horror story. But teachers do make a difference in people's lives, even if it wasn't an easy A. I want to hear about those teachers, please tell me about them.