This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Protecting the privacy of your friends who are celebrities


I have a lot of friends who are celebrities. You know, rich and famous, no autographs please, that sort of thing. And while you could argue that some genuinely are, and some just think they are, I treat them all with equal respect as celebrities. Here are a few things that I recommend:

• Don't mention their name in public. That includes Social Media, blogs, wherever strangers are. Sure, it's tempting to name drop, but it's bad manners around celebrities. However, you can follow their lead on this, if they have a Social Media page where they themselves have posted their name, you can use it, otherwise no. When I blog about my celebrity friends, they are just referred to as friends, not by name.

• Don't give out personal information. Don't tell people where they live, don't give out phone numbers, or email addresses. Actually, this should apply to everyone. But especially celebrities.

• Reassure them that you're not talking about them. Celebrities tend to not have time to pay attention to everything that is written about them, so let them know that you're doing your part to protect their privacy as much as you can.

I'm not a celebrity, so you can talk about me. You can mention me by name. I can walk out of my house without a group of paparazzis jumping out at me on my way to the mailbox. I don't need to wear sunglasses indoors. I don't need to try to respond to 2,000 "happy birthday" notices on my Facebook page. I don't need to be concerned that some stranger will give me, or my family, the creeps just because they didn't like my last movie, or song.

Big celebrities have Public Relations people to manage their image, which is very valuable, and worth protecting. But celebrities are real people, too. And if they're friends of mine, I respect that.