This blog is about Graphic Design, Vector Art, and Cartoon Illustration BradHallArt.com


Why iTunes match doesn't support your audiobooks on your iPhone


I'm very happy with my new iPhone, and since I can can watch my iTunes movies on it, I figured that it was about time that I listened to music, too. That meant paying for an iTunes match account, which is 25 dollars a year. It works great. You sign up for it, it looks at your library of music, and then your whole music library is available to listen to on your iPhone. The bad old days of needing mega-gigabytes of storage to have your music with you everywhere you go are over. I will be using my old Classic iPod as a door stop, I guess.

Unfortunately, I found that none of my audiobooks were available on my iPhone. Now, I know that the system isn't absolutely perfect - iTunes isn't really storing my music from my computer, it's matching what it has in its library so that I can play most of it. I'm willing to let a few things go. But I struggled today with trying to figure out why audiobooks didn't show up. At all. I even downloaded a couple of apps, but no luck. So don't bother. And there's a reason why your old audiobooks don't show up in iTunes match, they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection. That's the bad news.

But here is the good news - you can listen to them on your iPhone, you just have to manage your phone like your iPod. That is, plug it into your computer, go to audiobooks and sync them. Yes, they'll take up some space on that tiny iPhone hard drive, but not a lot. I just downloaded over two dozen, and it took up about five gigs.

So there you go. It's not a conspiracy, man, and it's not a mistake. Your old audiobooks from just a few years ago simply won't match. My best guess is that the ones in the future will, otherwise iTunes won't be selling too many audiobooks.

By the way, did I mention how good the iPhone sounds? An amazing little gadget!


Brad draws custom cartoon illustrations for publications, blogs, presentations, anything you want. You can contact him at his website BradHallArt.com

Brad draws custom cartoon illustrations for publications, blogs, presentations, anything you want. You can contact him at his website BradHallArt.com